Friday, March 14, 2014

Frosty Drives Mono

Frosty@Spring Mountain Motor Resort

Jonathan Frost, Skip Barber Instructor and SMMR Stingray Coach, had a chance to drive the BAC Mono last weekend.  He is an experienced professional racer with experience in many cars.  'Frosty' has also driven the various Palatov cars and will be one of the pros that will be helping us with Project Dragon.  Here are his comments after driving the Mono:
Driving the Mono was better than I ever expected. Having driven many low production track special cars i.e. caterham 7's, Elise's, Atoms, Radicals and even track modified streetcars. They always tend to be a little bit quirky. The performance is always there, but generally they fall short here and there. Not that I can fault the little guys, but when you hold them against the likes of Porsche and Ferrari that have had 60+ years to get it right, they can't compete in fit and finish and overall completeness. 
 The Mono is like nothing I have experienced before. I can honestly say that the Mono meets the Goliaths at their level. Fit and finish is exquisite. The car has zero bad habits. Heading out on track I expected to find a car that was nervous, edgy.  A car I'd have to watch my back around much like the formula cars I used to race.
 Boy, was I wrong. The Mono has the refinement and a personality much like the exotic club sport specials. (GT3's, Scuds, Caman R's)
 
 My first lap in the Mono I immediately felt at home. The car instantly became an extension of my driving suit.  Completely intuitive, everything I wanted the car to do, it did with flying colors.  On my second lap, I was able to lap the Spring Mountain East course fast enough to catch and pass a Radical SR3.  The car is blisteringly quick around the track. 
If I had any complaint, it would be that car is so well behaved that you don't feel like you're going that fast. It's that good.  The car sends the driver so much feedback that even a casual enthusiast will be able to extract much of the potential this car has to offer.  I'm in love!
To quote Ferris Bueller:  "I love driving it, it is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up"

We are looking forward to bringing the Mono to Laguna Seca and letting him drive it.  Watch Frosty drive an early D2 test mule at Laguna Seca:



No comments: